T2202: Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
Canada Revenue Agency requires the University to provide a T2202 to all University of Toronto students:
- 16 years or older,
- who was enrolled during the calendar year (January to December) in a qualifying educational program or a specified educational program at a post-secondary institution and;
- paid tuition fees in respect of the calendar year of more than $100 for courses taken at the postsecondary level.
You can view and print your final 2020 calendar year ACORN T2202 on February 21st of the following year (February 21, 2021), if:
- you have fully paid for ACORN invoice 2020 Winter (January to April), 2020 Summer (May to August) and 2020 Fall (September to December) and;
- You have recorded your SIN or ITN number by the end of the 2020 calendar year. This is not required if you will not file a Canadian tax return.
If you do not provide your SIN or ITN, and you file a tax return, CRA may subject you to a penalty of $100. View information about SIN or ITN for T2202 AND T4A .
Your 2020 calendar year ACORN T2202 was not finalized on February 21st, 2021:
- If you make another payment after February 21stfor the past calendar year unpaid fees, then the ACORN T2202 will update the new total payment amount after the payment has been recorded on ACORN and CRA records will not be updated until March 31st at the earliest or the end of each month thereafter.
- If you record your SIN or ITN number after February 21st, then CRA records will not be updated until March 31stat the earliest or the end of each month thereafter. For example, if you record your SIN or ITN number on February 28th, CRA records will be updated at end of March. If you record your SIN or ITN number on April 5th, CRA records will be updated at end of April.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the tuition credit amounts?
The tuition credit amounts displayed on the T2202 is equal to the portion of eligible tuition fee payments applicable to each academic session attended in the current calendar year. The three session periods are January to April (winter), May to August (summer), and September to December (fall).
Eligible fees are defined by the Canada Revenue Agency. For example, student society, residence and service charge fees are not eligible.
If the tuition credit amount is incorrect, contact Student Accounts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who to contact if full-time or part-time status on T2202 is incorrect?
Contact your college, faculty or campus registar’s office or SGS Student Services.
When are T2202s available on ACORN?
T2202s are normally available for viewing and printing on ACORN on February 21st of the following year.
Annual T2202 information is electronically submitted to CRA by March 2nd and revised T2202 information is submitted to CRA at the end of each month starting at end of March.
Each payment made in the current calendar year towards prior year unpaid fees, will revise the amounts reported on the T2202 certificate on ACORN.
Paper copies are not mailed to students.
How long are T2202s available on ACORN?
You can view and print T2202 for most recent calendar year and for six prior calendar years.
Paper copies are not mailed to students.
What applications are required to download T2202 from ACORN?
Who to contact for help with Acrobat Reader or printing T2202?
If your computer is attached to a local area network (LAN), contact your LAN administrator or technical support person for support. If you are having a problem on a personal computer, use the ACORN feedback button located in the lower left corner to forward your comments or concerns. (Be sure to select Help with Browser or Connectivity Problems from the Divisional Contact drop-down list.)
How can a student obtain a duplicate copy?
Where to find CRA information for domestic and international students?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website provides information for students on a wide range of taxation topics. In addition, CRA ‘s annual Students and Income Tax brochure is a useful source of information for students.