Request a Refund
Refund payments are only issued to the student in Canadian funds.
- Refund requests are made by the student in writing.
- Refund payments are not issued to parents, even if family or friends pay the fees.
- If the student’s fees are paid by an Ontario or U.S. government loan, some or all of the refund is issued to the government agency.
- If the student’s fees are billed to a sponsoring third party organization or agency, any refund payments are issued to the sponsor.
If you do not request a refund payment:
- Enrolment Services will review credit balances for OSAP students in the last two weeks in October (Fall), the last week in February and the first week in March (Winter), and last two weeks in June (Summer). Enrolment Services will send refund instructions to the Student Accounts Office.
- Student Accounts will review and refund eligible credit balances for non-OSAP students in the late October-early November (Fall), the last week in February and the late February/early March(Winter), and last two weeks in late June (Summer).
What are the refund payment options?
Refund Deposited in Your Canadian Bank Account
Direct Deposit to your bank account is the fastest and most reliable refund payment option.
Record your Canadian bank account information in ACORN before requesting a refund.
It takes 2-3 business days from the Refund date displayed on your ACORN invoice, for a refund payment to be deposited into your Canadian bank account. A refund amount greater than $10,000 requires additional approvals and longer processing time.
REFUNDS 2020 Fall Refund 2020-11-30(direct deposit) $1,000.00
- From the ACORN dashboard, click ‘Financial Account’ on the left hand menu under Finances.
- On the Financial Account screen, locate the direct deposit card and click ‘Direct Deposit’.
- Click ‘Enter Banking Info’.
- Enter your banking information. You can find your Transit (5 digits), Bank (3 digits) and Account numbers by requesting a blank cheque or a print-out of your banking information from your bank.
- Click ‘Add This Information Now’.
- After you have successfully added your banking information, you will get a confirmation message.√ Direct Deposit has been added successfully
Cheque Mailed to Your ACORN Mailing Address
It normally takes 2 business days from the Refund date displayed on your ACORN Mailing address to issue and mail a refund cheque. A refund amount greater than $10,000 requires additional approvals and longer processing time.
REFUNDS 2020 Fall Refund 2020-09-25(cheque) $2,000.00
Cheques are mailed by Standard Canada Post or Campus Mail (if applicable) and should be received in a week for a Canadian address and within two weeks for an International address. A refund amount greater than $10,000 requires additional approvals and longer processing time.
It is your responsibility to record an accurate ACORN Mailing address before you make your refund request.
Street: 205 – 155 St. Clair Ave. West City: Toronto Province: Ontario Postal Code: M4V OA1 Country: Canada
Put a hyphen between the unit/suite/apartment number (205) and the street number (155)
If you have not received your refund cheque in the time period mentioned above, you can contact Student Accounts at firstname.lastname@example.org to take the next steps.
- If the cheque has been cashed you may request an investigation. You must confirm with your bank that the cheque has not been cashed before requesting an investigation. The Student Accounts Office will initiate the investigation with the bank. A replacement cheque will not be processed until the cashed cheque investigation has been completed.
- If the cheque has not been cashed, then you can request a replacement cheque to be issued by filling out a Stop Payment Form. The replacement cheque can take 2 to 3 weeks from the date the Stop Payment Form has been submitted to the Student Accounts Office.
Learn how to add/change your ACORN mailing address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlKB_BX1Lg4&yt%3Acc=on
- From the ACORN dashboard click ‘Profile & Settings’ near the top of the left hand menu
- On the Profile & Settings page click ‘Address’.
- On the Address update screen click the pencil icon to edit an existing address, or ‘Add new’ to enter a new address.
- Follow the prompts on the screens to save your address information.
Cheque for Pickup (NOT Available Until Further Notice)
Send a request for a refund cheque from your utoronto.ca email address to email@example.com.
The refund cheque is normally ready for pick up within two business days from the Refund date displayed on your ACORN invoice. A refund amount greater than $10,000 requires additional approvals and longer processing time.
REFUNDS 2020 Fall Refund 2020-10-31(cheque) $1,000.00
Please contact Student Accounts- by phone or email to request a refund cheque for pick-up. From the request date, the cheque will be ready in 48 business hours. Students are advised to call 416-978-2142 to confirm their cheque is ready for pick-up) Refund cheques are available for pick-up every business day, however students should contact Student Accounts to verify that the refund cheque has been produced and ready for pick-up.
Present your T-card as identification to pick up the cheque during business hours (8:45am to 5:00pm from September to June, 8:45am to 4:30pm from July to August) at:
Student Accounts Office
215 Huron Street, 3rd Floor
How to Request a Refund
If you have a credit balance of more than $100 on your current session ACORN invoice, the link to the OSAP Refund Request Form will appear in a blue notification box on your ACORN dashboard.
Submit the online form. Enrolment Services will re-assess your OSAP application to determine if the some or all of the credit balance will be refunded to a U of T scholarship/award program, the National Student Loans Service Centre and/or refunded to you.
To view the status of your refund request, log out of ACORN, and when you log back into ACORN, you can see the status of your refund request.
If you do not request a refund, Enrolment Services will review credit balances for OSAP students in the last two weeks in October (Fall), the last week in February and the first week in March (Winter), and last two weeks in June (Summer). Enrolment Services will send refund instructions to the Student Accounts Office.
Refunds will be displayed on your ACORN invoice:
REFUNDS 2020 Fall Refund to OSAP 2020-10-28 $900.00 Refund 2020-10-28(direct deposit) $500.00
$900 was refunded to the NSLC on Oct. 28, 2020 $500 was deposited in your bank account within 2-3 business days
If you are eligible for a refund payment, send a request for a refund to firstname.lastname@example.org from your utoronto.ca email address. Refund requests must be made in writing by the student. For faster processing, include your name, student number, the refund request amount, and the reason for the refund payment.
You are eligible for a refund payment if you have a credit balance of more than $60 on your current session ACORN invoice, and none of the following conditions apply:
- Credit balance includes future session academic or residence deposit payment
- Overpayment includes funds for your living expenses. These funds should be sent to your Canadian bank account. If sent to the University’s bank account, these payments may be returned to the payee’s bank account.
- Waitlisted course(s)
- Residence, tuition or other charges are not yet recorded on your ACORN invoice
- A payment that you did not make is recorded on your ACORN invoice
- Credit card chargeback not yet recorded on your ACORN invoice
- Award cancellation not yet recorded on your ACORN invoice
- International student prepayment for a future session for visa purposes
- Staff or staff dependant tuition waiver credits have been recorded on your ACORN invoice
- US. Government loan funding has been recorded on your ACORN invoice
- Third party sponsor has paid for your fees